How do I prepare for the procedure?
- Do NOT eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your scan, except water. WATER ONLY.
- If your Arrival time is 12:30 PM or later you may have a light breakfast before 7:00 am. For example eggs, sausage, bacon. Do not have any sugar or caffeine.
- If you have a feeding tube, do NOT do any tube feedings the day of your test.
- Do NOT smoke after midnight the night before or the day of your scan.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 48 hours before the PET scan.
- You should drink at least three 8oz. cups of water between midnight and the time of the scan.
- You may take your routine medications the day of the scan, but take your medications with water only.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Please do not wear clothing with metal such as under-wire bras, zippers, or snaps. It would be best to wear items such as sweats or elastic waist pants.
- If you are diabetic, adjust your medications so your blood sugar level is normal when you come for your PET scan. HOWEVER, do NOT take insulin the day of your test. Diabetic pills are fine to take.
- Your blood glucose level must be below 200. If you cannot keep your morning glucose level below 200mg/dl, please call your physician’s scheduling office by noon the day before your scan so we can reschedule your scan.
- All diabetic patients will have their blood sugar levels checked prior to the scan. If your blood sugar level is elevated, the scan may have to be cancelled.
- There are no anticipated side effects from having a PET scan.
- If for any reason you are unable to keep your appointment or have any questions about the test please call our office at 901-683-005 ext: 1045.
Reminder: This scan should not be performed on patients who are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, please inform your physician. If you are breastfeeding, previously pumped and stored mother’s milk or formula should be substituted for breast feeding for 24 hours after the scan.
It is recommended that you stay away from pregnant women and young children under the age of 10 for 4 hours after you get done with the PET scan.
– You must have a driver –
To print a copy of these instruction, click here for a printable PDF.