West Cancer Center is positioned as the region’s comprehensive leader in adult cancer care and research. Our team at West Cancer Center offers an unparalleled breast cancer treatment plan for patients across the Mid-South region – collaborating with West’s leaders in radiation therapy, medical oncology, surgical oncology, and research to provide each patient with most individualized care possible.
The Comprehensive Breast Center at West Cancer Center provides comprehensive breast care and wellness services through three Breast Center locations. From annual wellness screenings to diagnostic mammography and surgical therapy, our Comprehensive Breast Center provides a full spectrum of multidisciplinary care for both breast wellness and the treatment of breast disease. To learn more about the Comprehensive Breast Center, click here.
The suspicion of breast cancer often first arises when a lump is detected in the breast during a breast examination or a suspicious area is identified during a screening mammography. A patient with breast cancer symptoms may have one or more of the following procedures to determine your diagnosis:
- Ultrasound Breast Imaging: an imaging method that uses sound waves to look inside the breast and distinguish normal findings like cysts or fat lobules from suspicious breast changes that may need biopsy.
- Diagnostic Mammography: West Cancer Center is one of the only facilities in the area offering 3D breast tomosynthesis for breast cancer diagnostic exams. 3D mammography helps detect breast cancer early, and offers sharp images of the breast so doctors can accurately identify even the smallest abnormalities for quick diagnosis.
- MRI: a MRI scan may be used to clearly define the extent of the tumor and to suggest a tumor type.
- Biopsy: a sample of tissue is removed for examination and to determine a diagnosis.
Your Treatment Plan
Your breast cancer treatment plan will vary depending on multiple factors, including but not limited to your stage of diagnosis, as well as the location of your cancer. Your dedicated team of cancer experts will discuss your treatment options and plan with you, allowing you and your loved ones to consider all possible treatment options for your diagnosis.
Potential treatment options for your diagnosis include:
- Surgery: surgical options for breast cancer treatment include mastectomy, lumpectomy, lymph node biopsy, and breast reconstruction. The type of surgery that a breast cancer patient undergoes depends largely on the size and location of the cancer, the breast size, and feasibility of breast reconstruction.
- Radiation therapy: often used with surgery, radiation therapy helps decrease the likelihood of reoccurrence and improves overall survival. To learn more Radiation Oncology and the types of radiation therapies offered at West Cancer Center, click here.
- Hormone therapy: often used after surgery to reduce the risk of reoccurrence, hormonal therapy helps to decrease the effect of estrogen on cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy: a drug therapy designed to kill or slow the growth of cancer cells, chemotherapy may be used to help shrink the breast cancer tumor or after surgery to help reduce the risk of recurrence.
- Additional therapies as needed, including targeted therapies and immunotherapy. Every patient is different, so please consult your physician for the most appropriate treatment plan for your cancer.