West Cancer Center is positioned as the region’s comprehensive leader in adult cancer care and research. Our team at West Cancer Center offers an unparalleled brain tumor treatment plan for patients across the Mid-South region – collaborating with West’s leaders in radiation therapy, medical oncology, surgical oncology, and research to provide each patient with most individualized care possible.
A patient with potential brain tumor symptoms may have one or more of the following procedures to determine your diagnosis:
- Physical Exam: your physician will check your general health, including your mental status, reflexes and coordination.
- Imaging: a MRI scan will be used to clearly define the extent of the tumor and to suggest a tumor type.
- Biopsy: a team of expert neurosurgeons will remove a sample of tissue for examination and to determine a diagnosis.
Your Treatment Plan
Your brain tumor treatment plan will vary depending on multiple factors, including but not limited to your stage of diagnosis, as well as the location of your cancer. Your dedicated team of cancer experts will discuss your treatment options and plan with you, allowing you and your loved ones to consider all possible treatment options for your diagnosis.
Potential treatment options for your diagnosis include:
- Surgery: your physician and surgical team will plan for the maximum safe surgical removal of the tumor, depending on the grade and location of the tumor.
- Radiation therapy: this therapy is often used in the treatment of brain tumors in an effort to destroy tumor cells and minimize damage to surrounding healthy tissue. To learn more Radiation Oncology and the types of radiation therapies offered at West Cancer Center, click here.
- Chemotherapy: a drug therapy designed to kill or slow the growth of cancer cells, patients with brain tumors may receive chemotherapy with radiation therapy as part of their treatment plan.
- Additional therapies as needed, including biological agents, alternating electrical fields, and other targeted therapy options offered at West Cancer Center. Every patient is different, so please consult your physician for the most appropriate treatment plan for your cancer.