West Cancer Center is positioned as the region’s comprehensive leader in adult cancer care and research. Our team at West Cancer Center offers an unparalleled adrenal cancer treatment plan for patients across the Mid-South region – collaborating with West’s leaders in radiation therapy, medical oncology, surgical oncology, and research to provide each patient with most individualized care possible.
Adrenal tumors are often discovered many years after the begin growing, and oftentimes spread to distant organs. These tumors often cause numerous changes in the body due to the production of excess hormones. A patient with adrenal cancer symptoms may have one or more of the following procedures to determine your diagnosis:
- Imaging: your physician may perform certain imaging tests – such as CT scans, MRI, and/or PET scan – to determine staging of the cancer.
- Adrenal venography: an imaging procedure where dye is injected into the adrenal vein to better view the veins and flow of blood near the adrenal gland.
- Urine test: your physician may order a urine test is used to determine the level of cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal gland.
Your Treatment Plan
Your adrenal cancer treatment plan will vary depending on multiple factors, including but not limited to your stage of diagnosis. Your dedicated team of cancer experts will discuss your treatment options and plan with you, allowing you and your loved ones to consider all possible treatment options for your diagnosis.
Potential treatment options for your diagnosis include:
- Surgery: surgical options for the treatment of adrenal cancer include adrenaloctomy, the complete removal of the adrenal gland, and lymphadenectomy, the removal of nearby lymph nodes.
- Radiation therapy: radiation therapy is the use of high-powered radiation beams to kill cancer cells. This therapy is often used in the treatment of adrenal cancer in an effort to destroy tumor cells and minimize damage to surrounding healthy tissue. To learn more about Radiation Oncology and the types of radiation therapies offered at West Cancer Center, click here.
- Chemotherapy: often used with radiation therapy, patients with adrenal cancer may receive chemotherapy – a drug therapy designed to kill or slow the growth of cancer cells.