Richard E. Fine, MD, FACS, is one of the nation’s leading board certified breast surgeons and a national leader in breast care.
Titles and Roles
- Breast Surgeon and Director of Education and Research, Comprenhensive Breast Center, West Cancer Center
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Chairman of the Board, American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Chairman of the Board, American Society of Breast Surgeons Foundation
- American College of Surgeons National Ultrasound Faculty Breast Imaging Module, Co-chair
Areas of Expertise
- Breast Surgery and Treatment
Richard E. Fine, MD, FACS, joined West Cancer Center’s Comprehensive Breast Center as Director of Education and Research and practicing breast surgeon in August 2012. As one of the nation’s leading board certified breast surgeons, Dr. Fine previously served as Director of Advanced Breast Care and as Co-director of The Breast Center in Marietta, GA.
An innovative pioneer in the diagnosis and treatment of breast diseases, Dr. Fine was one of the first surgeons in the country to perform stereotactic guided needle core biopsy and has been on the forefront of education and technology development in the field of image directed breast biopsy for the last two decades. Dr. Fine is past President of the American Society of Breast Surgeons and currently serves as Chairman of the Board. He has served on the Boards of the NAPBC, NCBC and as Governor for the American College of Surgeons, representing the American Society of Breast Surgeons.
A noted lecturer, educator and thought leader regarding the use of ultrasound and image-guided technology, Dr. Fine has published numerous articles and written several text book chapters related to stereotactic and ultrasound core needle biopsy.
Education and Training
- Emory University, Atlanta, GA – B.A., Chemistry – 1979
- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA – M.D. – 1983
- Internship, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center-General Surgery – 1983-1984
- Residency, Rush Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center-General Surgery – 1984-1988
- Recognized as Top Doctor in Memphis Magazine in 2014 and 2015
- Cobb County Health Department, Service Recognition for Cobb and Douglas County BreasTEST Program, April 27, 1995
- American Medical Association Physicians Recognition Award, 1991-2010
- Scientific Advisory Board for the IceCure™ Medical IceSense3 Cryotherapy for Breast Cancer Trial
- American Society of Breast Surgeons MammoSite Registry
- Multiple clinical studies on Image-guided Breast Biopsy Technology
To view Dr. Fine’s most recent publications, click here.