Holger L. Gieschen, MD, is an internationally renowned radiation oncologist specializing in prostate cancer.
Titles and Roles
- Radiation Oncologist, West Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, the University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Areas of Expertise
- Prostate Cancer
Dr. Geigen is an American Board of Radiology certified radiation oncologist with West Cancer Center. Before joining West Cancer Center, Dr. Gieschen served at Methodist University Hospital, was a board member of the Memphis Radiological Professional Corporation, was Director of Radiation Oncology at Methodist Healthcare, and served as Chairman of the Methodist Healthcare Cancer Committee. Dr. Gieschen is a member of the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, the American College of Radiology, and the Fletcher Society.
Education and Training
Dr. Gieschen completed his undergraduate education at the Bürgermeister-Smidt Gymnasium in Bremerhaven, Germany, graduating as the valedictorian. His post-graduate training includes education around the world. He first received his Doctorate in Medicine from the Christian-Albrecht-University, followed by his residency in Internal Medicine-Nephrology at the Medical College of Hannover. He then moved to the United States, where he completed his training with an internship at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC, followed by his residency at the Medical College of Virginia.
- Chief Resident, Medical College of Virginia, 1994
- Valedictorian, Bürgermeister-Smidt Gymnasium, Bremerhaven, Germany, 1980
Dr. Gieschen’s research interests include:
- Long-term results of intraoperative electron beam radiotherapy for primary and recurrent retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma
- Prostate specific antigen following definitive external beam radiotherapy
- A pilot study of accelerated hyperfractionated radiotherapy for locally advanced cancer of the uterine cervix
Dr. Gieschen has been published numerous times in the International Journal of Radiation Oncology, as well as in the Textbook on Intraoperative Irradiation – Techniques and Results.