It began with a small, two-room clinic in downtown Memphis, Tennessee.
William H. West, MD, was a nationally respected oncologist and lead investigator for the National Institutes of Health in Washington, D.C. Following the loss of his mother to breast cancer, his mission became clear: to provide world-class cancer treatment and research capabilities in his hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. In 1979, this goal became reality, and the doors of what would become West Clinic officially opened.
A chance meeting shortly following the opening further cemented the foundation of West Clinic. Kurt W. Tauer, MD, FACP, was a resident at a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, assigned to a colon cancer patient of Dr. West’s. They quickly established a partnership – and friendship – that would bring Dr. Tauer back to Memphis following his fellowship in Medical Oncology at Memorial Sloane-Kettering in New York City. In almost predictable happenstance, Dr. Tauer’s across-the-hall neighbor in New York City and fellow resident at Memorial Sloane-Kettering – Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, FACP – would eventually join Dr. Tauer and Dr. West at West Clinic to form a powerful partnership of physicians dedicated to improving cancer care and overall health in the Memphis community.
Throughout many years of growth and several major relocations – one to Mt. Moriah Boulevard in 1988 and another to Humphreys Boulevard in 2000 – West Clinic solidified itself as the local leader in adult cancer care. Led by the vision of its three co-founders, West Clinic built a reputation for both clinical excellence and cutting-edge research. Today, West Cancer Center is positioned as the region’s comprehensive leader in adult cancer care and research. This focus on groundbreaking research and clinical trials provides West Cancer Center patients with the most effective, individualized care possible. It is what sets West apart – and it is why patients from throughout the region and across the country choose West Cancer Center as their trusted partner in their cancer journey.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality cancer care and clinical research throughout the cancer journey, while respecting the quality of life – physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Our vision is to continually innovate, research and educate in order to advance the highest quality, compassionate, patient-centered and personalized cancer care.
Our Core Values
- Innovation: Our treatments include the latest state-of-the-art breakthroughs, researched and developed by our expert team of physicians and scientists.
- Comprehensive: Our care is for the individual, as well as their loved ones. We’re not just treating the disease – we’re treating the entire person.
- Family-Focus: We’re with you on this journey. We care for you and will be by your side – every step of the way.
- Hope: Even in the midst of hardships and unforeseen trials, there is always hope. When you fight, you always have a chance.
- Courage: It takes an inner strength to fight this disease. We will help you find it and channel it.